Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Boring Engineers Make Life Exciting

For the past month or so I have been twisting a friends arm to endow the sum of $5 million to help build a new engineering building for the school. Of course the building would be named after him and would be a great way to memorialize his family. The thing is he doesn’t appreciate engineers. He says they are boring and he can’t bring himself to support something that is not useful. I got so frustrated with him and I told him so. I reminded him that every time he makes a deal on his mobile phone he can thank the engineer that invented it and every time he deposits another million in his bank he should remember that engineers developed the computer systems that he uses to make his business more efficient. He has his own plane and I pointed out that engineers make the plane fly. What you think that faith makes it fly? He actually had the audacity to say yes! He has faith every time he gets on board and although he doesn’t know how or why the plane flies he just has faith it will. I told him that all the faith in the world will not make that plane fly if one of the wings is taken off…there is a logical reason the plane flies and I can explain it to him. Anyway, I am wearing him down and we have a deal on the table we are negotiating. I don’t know if he will ever fund the school but he has a new appreciation for how ‘boring’ engineers make his life more exciting!