Thursday, February 09, 2006

The Grammys, The Masai, and the Internet

Well, my wife made it back from the Grammy Awards and reported that she had a ‘marvelous time’. What should I make of that? Maybe I should ask RockyJay for some advice or something.

Anyway, I arrived early for my breakfast meeting this morning and was reading an email from a friend who lives in Tanzania, East Africa while waiting for my appointment to arrive. When we sat down I broke the ice, I don’t know him all that well and he wants me to sit on a board, by talking about my email. What surprised me was that he had no reaction upon hearing that someone who lives in the bush with the Masai has ready access to the internet. My friend who sent the email was born to missionary parents in the Congo, now Zaire, he speaks Swahili and understands the culture so well that the Masai tribe has him sit in on their council meetings. He has even been able to convince the macho elders to listen to female council. Wow! The internet has really helped make this a small world.