Monday, July 25, 2005

Breakers Tennis / Maria Sharapova

One of my sons is an avid tennis player who is currently being coached by Ronald Agenor. This last weekend we arranged a trip to Newport Beach to see the Breakers play World Team Tennis. It was the first time I have ever been to a live pro tennis match and I found it extremely exciting. The Breakers did well winning on Saturday but lost several sluggish games on Sunday placing them in a tie for first place with Sacramento.

From an engineering point of view I find the technology in tennis to be truly amazing. These include cutting edge rackets that almost do the thinking for you to shoes that provide superior traction yet protect player’s feet, heels, ankles, and legs.

As I watched the men’s singles it made me wonder how much more power can be delivered to that ball and what engineer will develop the technology to make that happen? Seeing Maria was nice too.