Tuesday, November 22, 2005

JFK

I suddenly realized that today marks the 42 year since JFK was assassinated. Even though I was only 6 at the time the memory is indelibly etched in my mind as I watched my mom, I stayed home from school that day with the flu, break into a tearful attempt to explain to me what was happening. Somehow, from my naïve perspective, I imagined JFK as the country’s protector from a successful Cuban missile crisis and now that he was dead I feared that the Russian’s would immediately invade our country. I recall that it was just a black day.

About this time of year in 1998, while having lunch in New York with my friend Robert Knight, I sat spellbound as he described that day from his perspective. Bob worked in the Treasury department at the time and had traveled to Dallas aboard the Presidents jet. He recalled watching Jack and Jackie get into the limousine for their fateful drive. Listening to Bob recall that day was surreal.

Where were you on November 22, 1963?