Tuesday, August 23, 2005

How I Cope With ‘Tech Overload.’

I mimic my kids. At first it drove me nuts but the more I practiced the more comfortable I became with ‘overload.’ It starts with the mindset that there is no such thing as overload just reconfiguring. The modern teen is a natural born multitasker who can simultaneously view a computer screen with 14 IMs plus class work, listen to music in one ear, a lecture in the other, and trouser text without ever missing a beat. They are plugged in 24/7. I use the system to my advantage because I know more than ever about what they are doing, where they are, where they have been. In short we stay connected and communicating better than ever. Although I cannot trouser text, nor have any aspirations to do so, I will do what it takes to be tech savvy including suffering through the occasional embarrassment of the kids out witting me. Note: Wake up elementary school principles; you have an army of 6 year olds coming your way who don’t even understand the word ‘overload.’