Wednesday, May 25, 2005

The Golden State Breakfast

I just returned from The Golden State Reception and Breakfast, held annually in Sacramento for the last 79 years. The Honorable Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor of the State of California gave the keynote address in which he stressed the importance of making California a business friendly State again. He also blasted the legislators for giving themselves a pay raise. The Governor made some interesting observations regarding California teachers. As I made my way into the convention center there were maybe a hundred or so protestors, some of them attempted to have me sign a petition. There was no where near the ‘thousands of protestors’ that I saw quoted in a few papers. The protestors included teachers, firefighters, and other union members. The teachers want more money pumped into what many consider a failed school system. Maybe some of them should look at National University as a great model for education because it more closely resembles what the future of education is all about. National has to perform or go out of business.

During the Reception I spoke briefly with ex-Governor Pete Wilson and introduced him to my wife and daughter. I had the opportunity to speak with many business leaders throughout the reception and breakfast, each of whom showed a keen interest in National University and I can happily report that National has an outstanding reputation in the community. It looks as if National University is ‘performing’ well.