Monday, May 09, 2005

Alumni

For those of you who are recent graduates I want to hear from you. What do you plan to do with your new degree? What are some success story’s you have to share?

For those of you who have been out of the scholastic system for a while I want to hear from you as well. Has your degree helped you achieve your goals? What are some success story’s you have to share? Knowing what you know now what would you have done differently?

Since this is a blog I started, I suppose in all fairness I should share my experience first. My wife, a Ph. D. in Mathematics from Ohio State, and I have five kids between us, almost the Brady Bunch you might say. The older kids began questioning the merits of attending college vs. simply going out into the job market or starting a business immediately after High School. The argument was that since I did not finish college, why should they even bother starting? Thinking back to my senior year at U.C. Irvine I began to wonder why I never completed my degree in Bio-Chemistry? Naturally, I could conjure up many reasons why it never got done but now with the prospect of having kids follow in my footsteps I decided to remove the argument off of their platter by finishing what I started. After checking with U.C. Irvine I found, to my utter amazement, that they do not under any circumstances admit seniors…..period! As it turns out when I stopped attending school I lacked a quarter, 4 classes, from getting my degree. After twenty plus years since I attended college I was now facing three years, if I could even get into the system, before I could graduate. Wow…that hurt and I got the same story from UCSD.

Somewhere along the line I had heard about National University. After comparing what National had to offer vs. University of Phoenix, I decided to enroll at National, whereby I could complete the minimum 10 month residency requirement, I had more than enough credits, and get my degree post haste. The shortest path was a liberal arts degree. Another factor for me was that National's program was superior, in my opinion, to Phoenix.

However, my first class ended up being the starting class of a string in the Information Systems program, and liked it. I got to know some of the staff, and opted to continue the program even though it would require 8 more months than the 10 I originally counted on.

It was a lot of work and my kids put my grades under a microscope. Anything less than an A brought a great deal of harassment from them. I will note for the record that it is not easy to get an A at National so I caught my share of grief when some B’s appeared.

In April of 2004, I received a Bachelor of Science degree in Information Systems. It was a proud accomplishment that I feel great about.

Additionally, my oldest son who is finishing High School this year wants to attend UCSD after a six month break. Was it worth it…..absolutely!!!

http://www.nu.edu/Alumni.html